1) They drop their tail when threatened by a predator but can be regenerated in 1month.
2) When a lizard sheds its tail, it will return later to see if it is still there and eat it!
3) They are often mistaken as a type of snake as some species have very small or no legs. You can identify by finding the eyelids and presence of external ears. Lizards possess eyelids and ears.
4) Lizards smell by tasting the air around them. This is why they are often seen with sticking tongues at a rapid pace!
5) There are more than 5,600 different of species.
6) Lizards exist more than 200 million years since the dinosaur’s age.
7) Lizards live everywhere except in Antarctica.
8) They shed their skin as they grow.
9) The Gecko is the only species of lizard with vocal cords to create sound. The other species use body language to communicate instead.
10) Lizard eggs take about 40-60 days to hatch and a year to be mature and mate. Their lifespan is an average of 10 years but some species will live double the lifespan.